Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Random ruminations or who really is the demented one?

Having had a bit of time to reflect on the weekend with the folks, I’ve concluded that I’m just going to have to embrace the idea that they will continue in their high functioning dysfunction until some disaster strikes. It is quite a helpless feeling knowing that I am 300 miles away with a life that does not revolve around their every need.
What bothers me, and my sister as well, is that all of this will come crashing down when one of them has some catastrophic accident or illness. What if dad has a stroke? What if mom falls? When (not if) that happens, chaos ensues and my sister and I will have to drop everything to come pick up the pieces. It would be so much easier if the folks would put some forethought into a "plan B." Am I being selfish? Maybe. I do have a life of my own located several hundred miles away from them.
I do want my parents to have quality life in their golden years. But quality is subjective. My idea of quality is definitely different than what my parents define as quality. And that is okay. I just have to keep telling myself that this is just okay. Maybe in time I will believe it. This is really a huge challenge to my hopeless optimism.
And there is some sort of sick sense of humor when you know that whatever I discuss with my mom will be forgotten by the end of the conversation. LOL! No need to worry when you can't remember!

No comments:

Post a Comment